Do-it-yourself electrical work
Electrical work proper may only be carried out by registered professionals. You may also carry out certain minor electrical work as an ordinary electricity user, provided that you are certain you can perform these correctly and safely. For instructions on how to perform certain minor repairs safely, see the Home electrical safety guide (in Finnish). Also remember to always follow the installation and user instructions provided with electrical supplies.
Make sure electrical installations are de-energised before working on them. Before you begin work, switch the power off either by using the main switch or unplugging the appliance from the power supply. Also make sure nobody else will be able to switch on the power to the circuit you are working on.
Tasks every electricity user is allowed to perform:
- replacing a fuse in a switchboard;
- making an automatic fuse and residual-current device operational
- testing the functioning of a residual-current device using a test button;
- changing a dimmer fuse;
- replacing a light bulb and starter;
- checking the circuit is de-energised by using an approved voltage tester when carrying out tasks anyone is allowed to perform.
Repair and installation tasks everyone is allowed to perform:
- repairing and constructing single-phase extension cords;
- replacing damaged single-phase connection cords and plugs of appliances;
- connecting household light fittings using a connection block;
- in a fixed installation replacing the connection block with a new-system ceiling case and replacing a damaged ceiling case (not installation or replacement of the wiring)
- assembling electrical appliances as a hobby, such as using electronic construction kits and repairing such appliances.
Other work everyone is allowed to perform:
- installing a household aerial;
- repairing mechanical parts of electrical appliances, such as replacing a washing machine hose, provided that the appliance's contact and water protection remain unaffected;
- uninstalling electrical installations that have been reliably and fully de-energised.