What are biocides?
Biocides are chemical substances, preparations or microorganisms intended to
- destroy, repel, render harmless,
- prevent the action of
- or otherwise exert a controlling effect on any harmful organism.
Biocidal products include
- skin and surface disinfectants,
- insecticides and insect repellents,
- wood preservatives and
- antifouling products, or boat hull paints.
Plant protection products, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food products and food additives are not classified as biocides.
In Finland, only biocidal products approved by Tukes can be used. It is not allowed to import such products for own use.
Always read the product's instructions for use carefully and follow them!