How to apply for a locality mark
Municipalities can apply for a right to use a locality mark or marks by submitting a free-form application to the Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes). Individuals or companies cannot apply for a locality mark. The municipality decides on which companies can use the mark.
When you apply for a locality mark, consider the following:
- The application is submitted by the municipality.
- The locality mark is shaped like a coat of arms.
- The mark cannot feature any small details, as it is used in precious metal products.
- It is important that the locality mark can be identified in precious metal products. In other words, it must be readable in an earring stick, for example, using a loupe.
The application must include at least the following information:
- the name and address of the municipality,
- business ID,
- contact person, and
- date and signature.
The following must be attached:
- Trade Register extract (or similar document that indicates the signatory’s right to act in the municipality’s name), and
- a drawing of the locality mark applied for.
Once Tukes has approved the drawing of the locality mark, we will request you to send the mark punched in a stamp. We will send more detailed instructions on how to do this to municipalities.