Storage and disposal
When stored correctly, plant protection products maintain their efficiency for as long as possible, and, when used according to instructions, they are safe to use for both the users and the environment. Tukes supervises the storage of plant protection products together with the Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment.
You can make the use of your storeroom for plant protection products safer and more comfortable by taking care of the following:
- Mark the storeroom for plant protection products with a warning sign. The storeroom can be a room, a shed or a cabinet.
- Plant protection products will maintain their efficiency, when you store them in a dry, cool and well ventilated space, protected from direct sunlight and below zero temperatures.
- Check that the lighting in the storeroom is in order.
- Do not store personal protective equipment, such as gloves, overalls and masks, in the storeroom for plant protection products.
- Keep the most hazardous and liquid plant protection products on lower shelves and powdery ones on upper shelves.
- Check the condition of plant protection product containers on a regular basis. Solvents used in the plant protection products may embrittle the containers or the container may break if the plant protection products get wet or if they freeze.
- Place a waste container for empty plant protection product packages to be disposed of in the storeroom for such products.
- Assign a person responsible for the storeroom to take care of the safety and order of the storeroom.