Processing of permits and changes

All new facilities handling and storing hazardous chemicals on a large scale require a permit from the Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes). Use the list of chemicals and the ratio calculator to determine whether you need a permit.

A chemical safety permit issued by Tukes is a special permit linked to an environmental permit. A series of lectures on the seamless licensing of investment projects is available in Tukes’ eTentti service.

If changes affecting chemical safety are made at a facility supervised by Tukes, a change notification or change permit application must be submitted to Tukes. The criteria for change notifications and change permits are described here. You can submit permit applications and notifications to Tukes via the online service.

The target processing times are 80 days for change notifications and 240 days for permit applications.