Gold panning

Gold panning refers to the exploitation of gold found in the soil.

If you want to pan for gold on state-owned land, you need a gold panning permit issued by Tukes. For gold panning on private land, the landowner’s permission is enough.
Priority for a gold panning permit for state-owned land is given to however first applies for the permit in accordance with the Mining Act.

Applying for a gold panning permit

If a gold panning permit application is fundamentally flawed, an application filled in by another applicant in accordance with the Mining Act may be given priority.

Documents required for a gold panning permit

To apply for a gold panning permit, you need the following documents:

How to start panning for gold

Find an area
Find an area (max. 7 ha) for which you want a gold panning permit.

Find out whether there are impediments to a gold panning permit
Find out whether there are any impediments to getting a gold panning permit for the area, such as an existing permit.

Permit application and appendices
Fill in the gold panning permit application and mining waste management plan forms, attach any other necessary documents and files and send the documents to Tukes

Processing permit applications
Wait for your permit application to be processed, which takes approximately xx.

Tukes publishes all decisions on its website, in addition to which you will get your decision by post. Once you receive the decision, read it and follow its instructions.

Frequently asked questions

See also here

Forms relating to gold panning 

Paikkatietoikkuna, spatial information about the characteristics of the gold panning area and factors potentially affecting permit applications

Reindeer Herders’ Association, information about the reindeer herding area, such as Reindeer Herding Cooperatives and their contact details

Mining Register Map Service, a map of current permits and applications under the Mining Act, updated every two weeks

Gold Prospectors Association of Finnish Lapland, information about gold panning