When is a product description required for an article of precious metal?
When attaching or filling a handle on cutlery or a similar article made of sheeted precious metals a precious metal with a fineness lower than that indicated by the fineness mark, a base metal or other material can be used for certain justified reasons. In this case, the manufacturer should provide written justified grounds with a description of the composition and materials used in the product.
Product groups for the sale of which a product description may be required:
- other sheeted products.
A product description is mandatory only for cutlery, candlesticks and similar articles of precious metals specified in the Decree. A product description may also be used with other articles, but the weight of other articles of precious metals may not be increased and the articles may not be reinforced or filled with materials other than the precious metal alloy indicated by the fineness mark.
You must produce a product description of articles of precious metals if
The use of a material that has a fineness lower than the fineness mark value must be well justified. Examples of a good justification are attaching a handle to cutlery or filling a candlestick to increase its stability.
The product description must include:
- the trade name of the product and a product code or other identifier
- the manufacturer or importer and its contact information
- written description of the composition and a sectional view with explanations
- production materials, such as attaching and filling materials used for a handle or a stand, and soldering materials
- justification for why a precious metal with a fineness lower than that indicated by the fineness mark, base metal or other material has been used in the product
- the date on which the product description was prepared