Husky and reindeer safaris
The organiser of husky and reindeer safaris is responsible for the safety of the service. The guides’ expertise on working with animals on changeable routes and in wilderness conditions is highlighted with regard to the safety of safaris.
Tukes monitors the customer safety of various animal services.
Documents in order
The safari organiser must draw up a safety document on the tours. In the document, pay special attention to the planned route, instructing the customers, and the expertise of the guides.
Identify the risks
Safari organiser, you need to identify the following risks and minimise the hazards they cause:
- Take the different customer groups into account, such as foreigners, children and special groups.
- Consider whether the customers understand the instructions given.
- Consider what the route is like. Are there any other users in the area at the same time?
- Find out if there are road crossings or other challenging spots on the route.
- Consider whether the guides know what to do in case of an emergency.
Good safety practices
When organising safaris, take the following into account:
- Draw up a separate plan for every long safari.
- Make sure that the customers understand the instructions.
- Collect all accidents and incidents in your own accident records.
- Remember to notify Tukes about serious accidents.
Draw up instructions in many different languages with pictures.
What to take into account in the planning
In the route plans, take account of the ways of calling for help in case of an emergency on the route. Do emergency applications work, or are there other tools available? Encountering other route users and crossing roads or similar are also emphasised in route planning.
Requirements on the equipment
Maintain the sleds and harnesses in good condition and keep maintenance records. Warm overalls and other outdoor clothing should be kept available, especially for foreign tourists.
- Maintenance and upkeep
Check the condition of the routes before the tour.
- Providing information for the customers
Give the customers clear instructions on what to do during the tour. Make sure that they understand the instructions.