Explosives, fireworks, cartridges and propellant powder

Explosives must meet the requirements set out for them in legislation. The transfer, sales, storing and manufacture of explosives are all closely regulated as well.

An explosive refers to the explosive material itself or to an item or a device containing explosive material. Explosives include

  • explosives for civil use with detonators
  • propellant powder
  • fireworks and emergency flares.

Fireworks are pyrotechnic devices meant for entertainment. Fireworks imported into Finland primarily come from China. Tukes supervises that the fireworks sold in Finland comply with the statutory requirements. Tukes is also the authority responsible for accepting hazard class designations and import operations.

Transferring explosives within Finland or between Finland and one of the countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) requires a document authorising the transfer from Tukes, i.e. a transfer document. The transfer document must be delivered to the sender of the explosives before the transfer.